Posted on

Dead Socceroo ‘given heroin’

Papers at Central Local Court allege Sherryn Davis caused the death of Ian Gray “in circumstances amounting to manslaughter, to wit, an unlawful and dangerous act”.


As well as manslaughter, Davis is charged with supplying heroin to Mr Gray and stealing $3000 worth of his property, including a laptop, a camera and clothing.

Davis did not appear in court on Thursday, electing to remain in the cells when her case was called. She was refused bail and remanded until May 27.

Friends of Mr Gray, 46, found his body in the lounge room of his Elizabeth Bay apartment in Sydney’s east on Monday night.

They are reported to have broken in to the home after becoming concerned when he did not turn up to appointments or answer phonecalls.

Relationship ‘unclear’

Police have not yet revealed the exact time of his death or the cause.

“I expect further detail in that regard will be forthcoming,” Superintendent Tony Crandell told reporters outside Kings Cross police station on Thursday.

Public information had led to the arrest of Davis at premises on Darlinghurst Road in Kings Cross, he said.

But he refused to comment on the relationship between Davis and Gray.

“At this stage, the relationship, I’m uncertain of and I can’t comment on that simply because it is before the court,” he said.

Although retired as a player, Mr Gray maintained strong links to the soccer community, working as a coach and trainer of junior teams.

Football hall of fame

“Nobody had a bad word to say about him and he helped save the careers of lots of good players… Mark Schwarzer, Steve Corica and countless others,” his friend Bob Caitlin said.

Mr Gray played 35 matches for the Socceroos over nine years.

In 2004, he was inducted into the Football Federation Australia (FFA) Hall of Fame.

An experienced defender and midfielder, he began his career with the Manly Vale and Western Suburbs clubs.

While visiting Thailand three years ago, he suffered injuries during an assault from which he never fully recovered.

“The doctors said he probably wouldn’t ever be 100 per cent, but he was progressing,” Mr Caitlin said.

Details of Mr Gray’s funeral are yet to be released.